Sunday, February 17, 2008

Tualatin River NWR Jan. 26

I've had 34 birthdays in total, counting the latest. I told Amanda that the only thing I wanted for my birthday was two things: birds and beers. Well, to be more specific, I wanted to start the day bird watching and end the day with beer (good beer). She was happy to oblige since those two things happen to be two of her favorite pasttimes as well.

We got up at 5:00 a.m. that Saturday morning, packed up our binoculars, bird guides and telescope and shot out into the early morning dark to one of our favorite bird friendly places; Tualatin River Nature Park. Our goal was to get there while it was still quite dark and wander around listening for owls. Though it was rather cold, we were warm with anticipation. This was our first owl prowl.

We wandered and talked (quietly) for an hour or so, while the sun slowly made its way into the forest. Just as first light was spilling through the evergreens, we heard a shriek. We had studied a few of the calls of the likely owls for this forest and recognized its scream immediately. Then, it soared down off of its perch in a tree in front of us. It was a sort-eared owl. Not only was it a short-eared owl, it was also a "lifer". And what a lifer it was. Not bad for the first bird seen in my early to mid thirties.


After a nice mid-day birthday nap, we met friends at the Horse Brass pub for beer and conversation. Though this isn't my usual hang out and doesn't suit me that well (see explanation below) I had a great time and a few tasty beers. Some that I remember were the Hairy Eyeball (Lagunitas) Terminal Gravity, and possibly Broken Halo. A nice time was had by all. The night ended at Chopsticks III (karaoke bar) with me doing an easily replicated version of Tom Waits "The Piano Has Been Drinking" and Amanda rocking the joint with Kate Bush "Running Up That Hill."

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Happy birthday birding trip!
I just found out today that short-eared owls are really quite uncommon, especially in the Willamette Valley. Far less common than w. screech owls, g.h. owls, and saw-whet owls, supposedly. So that was a really great find for your birthday treat! Apparently, tall grass habitats are becomming harder and harder to come by for their nesting sites. We should go back and try to hear/see it again! Maybe we can even get a photo of it with the snazzy new camera.
We need to go owling more!

Amanda said...

P.S. Next time we go karaoke-ing, YOU get to be the D.D.
Sober solo singing is right up there with pooping in public.
...not that I've ever pooped in public before.... I'm just saying....